I have been finding street parking in Milwaukee for 10 years and I have found that if you take the time to familiarize yourself with a few minutes worth of info you can save yourself a lot of money. Milwaukee parking checkers are notorious for handing out tickets at the slightest suspicion of a violation, hoping that you will simply not contest the ticket. It is to your benefit to know the law and take every step necessary to avoid legitimate tickets. There is a list of over 50 potential violations every time a car is parked on the street in Milwaukee. The most common mistake that is made is parking on the street without a night parking sticker.
Here is a step by step guide to night street parking in Milwaukee:
1. If you are going to park on the street more than 2 times each month you need to purchase a night parking permit. You can go to any police station and purchase with cash or check. You can also purchase the night parking permit at here. The night parking permit costs $20 for four months or $55 for the entire year.
2. If you are only going to park on the street once or twice a month you can report your vehicle to the Milwaukee Police Department before 2am. You can report via the or you can call them at 414-286-CITY. Be prepared to give them the exact address where the vehicle is parked.
Here are a few violation that are commonly misunderstood or forgotten.
1. You must park within 12 inches of the curb.
2. You must not be closer than 2 feet from the car behind your car or in front of your parked car.
3. You must be 15 feet away from a crosswalk.
4. You must be 10 feet away from a fire hydrant.
5. You can look up your address at this link to find out if you need to switch sides each night: List of addresses and their ordinances
Filed Under: Local Culture
About the Author: William is a freelance writer based in Milwaukee. His areas of focus include politics and economics.